This past few months has been busy busy! We found out that Sophi has Oculocutaneous Albinism. She has low pigment in her eyes and as we've known from the time she was born in her hair and skin too, hence the name "Baby Bino" which Ryan has called her from day one we just didn't know how true it would become. The only way for her to have this form of Albinism is that both Ryan and I carry a recessive gene. Each of our kids had a 25% chance of having Albinism. Harman looked mexican when he came out and Annabelle had our skin tone so if we were to have another baby Ryan says it might be invisible! No, I am not announcing anything. Sophi has low vision, nystagmus and light sensitivity. Nystagmus is where her eyes track back and forth. We knew she had this from when she was four months old. We were always told she was just born with it. Usually if a person has Nystagmus it can mean they have more serious problems like tumors or brain defects. We have always been super grateful it was never because of something more serious. At 18 months Sophi was still not walking. She would take a few steps and then just crawl around. One day I will upload what her knee walking looked like. It was hilarious! We just really felt like she wasn't walking because she was unsure of her surroundings due to her low vision because of the Nystagmus. A few months ago a vision specialist that has been helping her with her gross motor skills (walking) told us to see a pediatric opthomologist. After waiting 3 months to get in she was finally diagnosed with Albinism. The doctor says that her vision will be good enough to go to regular school and also most likely will be able to drive. PHEW! A few people I've talked to about this during everything wondered how I wasn't more worried. I have always been worried but I have always felt very peaceful about the entire situation. Ryan and my dad gave her a beautiful blessing when she was 4 months old. During that blessing I knew we'd be able to handle everything that came along. I'm sure she will have some ups and downs with this but in my mind if the worst thing about all this is she has to wear sunscreen and glasses her entire life we'll take it! From the very beginning I was always grateful that it was just vision problems and not something more serious. Thanks for all the prayers and support! I will try to update more regularly! Gotta go change a poopy diaper! That's all for now!
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Baby Bino with Glasses!
This past few months has been busy busy! We found out that Sophi has Oculocutaneous Albinism. She has low pigment in her eyes and as we've known from the time she was born in her hair and skin too, hence the name "Baby Bino" which Ryan has called her from day one we just didn't know how true it would become. The only way for her to have this form of Albinism is that both Ryan and I carry a recessive gene. Each of our kids had a 25% chance of having Albinism. Harman looked mexican when he came out and Annabelle had our skin tone so if we were to have another baby Ryan says it might be invisible! No, I am not announcing anything. Sophi has low vision, nystagmus and light sensitivity. Nystagmus is where her eyes track back and forth. We knew she had this from when she was four months old. We were always told she was just born with it. Usually if a person has Nystagmus it can mean they have more serious problems like tumors or brain defects. We have always been super grateful it was never because of something more serious. At 18 months Sophi was still not walking. She would take a few steps and then just crawl around. One day I will upload what her knee walking looked like. It was hilarious! We just really felt like she wasn't walking because she was unsure of her surroundings due to her low vision because of the Nystagmus. A few months ago a vision specialist that has been helping her with her gross motor skills (walking) told us to see a pediatric opthomologist. After waiting 3 months to get in she was finally diagnosed with Albinism. The doctor says that her vision will be good enough to go to regular school and also most likely will be able to drive. PHEW! A few people I've talked to about this during everything wondered how I wasn't more worried. I have always been worried but I have always felt very peaceful about the entire situation. Ryan and my dad gave her a beautiful blessing when she was 4 months old. During that blessing I knew we'd be able to handle everything that came along. I'm sure she will have some ups and downs with this but in my mind if the worst thing about all this is she has to wear sunscreen and glasses her entire life we'll take it! From the very beginning I was always grateful that it was just vision problems and not something more serious. Thanks for all the prayers and support! I will try to update more regularly! Gotta go change a poopy diaper! That's all for now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Holy cow Marc, I had no idea! She looks very stylin' in her shades;) I know you're crazy busy with work & fam... call me if you need help!
We love our cousin, niece Sophi, aka Baby Bino. She is so cute with her glasses does she wear those all the time? We are glad you are all doing well. We can't wait to see you soon. Ainsley said, "That's Sophi in Utah!" Miss you! Love you!
Wow! First that you updated the blog and second about little Sophi. She sure is cute. Hope you're all doing well.
Sophi is the sweetest thing. I love the pink glasses, so stylish. :) I love your attitude, you are so calm and put together about things, reminds me of grandma Haslam. We need to get together soon.
Post a Comment